When you’re involved in a collision, there are a lot of questions that will come to mind as you discern the next steps on what to do and where to take your vehicle. Do I have to go to a claims center? Do I need more than one estimate? Why are the estimates so different?
These are all good questions, and it is imperative that you don’t let any dictate or push you around during the claims process. Know what rights you have as the customer, insured or claimant. Below are several important pieces of information to keep in mind:
- Some insurance companies may want you to visit their drive- in claims center before having your car repaired. You can do this, or you may leave your car at a collision repair shop of your choice and ask that the insurance company inspect the car there.
- You are not required by law to obtain more than one estimate or appraisal.
- You have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company cannot require you to go to a particular shop.
- Differences in repair estimates are common. A lower estimate may not include all necessary work. If you're not sure why one estimate you've received is different from another, ask the shop manager to explain what the estimate includes.
- Let the collision repair shop you choose help you negotiate your claim with the insurance company. This often leads to a better repair.
You can find more information here.
Have other questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or call us at 703-913-0844 and we will be happy to answer any questions you have.